David wrote Psalm 12 with intention to cry for help. “Save me , O Lord” he started and immediately pivots to complain about the neighbours.
To the director: With the sheminith. A song of David. Save me, LORD!Psalm 12:1-4
- We can no longer trust anyone!
- All the good, loyal people are gone.
- People lie to their neighbors.
- They say whatever they think people want to hear.
The contribution of his neighbours to the help he expected from God is not clear. The recommended solution does not serve grace and mercy. The LORD should cut off their lying lips and cut out their bragging tongues? Really?
- Those people think they can win any argument.
- They say, “We are so good with words, no one will be our master.”
“Good with words” and “good with works” are familiar mantras. God is not buying it. We will find him unimpressed with our words and our works.