Do you have a Moses in your community or country? Of course not. Neither do I. We can stop pretending to be Israel because there is only one Israel and one Moses. Law and obedience did not work, and thousands of years of claims of being “in covenant” are false.
A brutal interpretation of the questions on John 7:19-23 might look like this.
- Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keeps the law? No. He did not.
- Why go all of you about to kill me? Assassins – murderers- are behind every mask of obedience. How did you know, Sir,
- The people answered and said, You have a devil: who goes about to kill you? Wait two years and you will see yourself screaming for my life, with the high priest affirming the need for someone to die to save the nation from Roman government action.
Who is the accuser/ prosecutor
Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuses you, even Moses, in whom all of you trust. For had all of you believed Moses, all of you would have believed me; for he wrote of me. But if all of you believe not his writings, how shall all of you believe my words?
Moses the servant dissed for tradition
People whose lives are defined by law and regulations are sure to be tainted with accusations and condemnation. One cannot have fire in one’s bosom and not get burned. So in an attempt to bring their accusation to the proper context Jesus answered and said unto them:
- I have done one work, and all of you all marvel.
- Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; (not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers;) and all of you on the sabbath day circumcise a man.
- If a man on the sabbath day receive circumcision, that the law of Moses should not be broken; are all of you angry at me, because I have made a man everything whole on the sabbath day?
The disease that allows people to dress up everything like ancient Israel is virulent and more pervasive than we imagine. It sets in only when the claims of the gospel are rejected. Which court do we know stands ready to permanently dismiss every case if the accused confess?