Books like this (small booklet) have been part of satisfying the thirst of many believers. Having a number of Bible verses in one place in some kind of order is a huge time saver. But what if the order itself has no structure? Chaos follows. The entry for covenant in this book has two parts: new and old.
Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,Hebrews 13:20
If the point is to compare the two then one should use the same measures: the same hearings and questions.
The new covenant is in Christ’s blood. He ratifies it. There is no connection to the Sinai or the Palestinian covenant. It has nothing to do with Israel’s exit from Egypt
8. For finding fault with them, he says, Behold, the days come, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9. Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, says the Lord.
There is no commandment participation
God’s role is clear – I will. Human participation does not include drilling it into “our kids” for example as the custom was for the old/first covenant.
- I will put my laws into their mind, and
- write them in their hearts:
- I will be to them a God, and
- they shall be to me a people
- they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
- I will be merciful to their unrighteousness,
- I will remember their sins and their iniquities no more.
The author is not comparing old and New covenant. He is actually making the points he wants to make about obedience about where the covenant placed but he says nothing about the record of keeping those Commandments.
Criteria for the new
- Where written
- Compared to the other
- Same as another
- Who ratifies
- What is its commemoration
The writer wants to say that the law is now written in human hearts but he does not deny that you can’t be teaching people about that. He compares the old to the new without saying they are different. He talks about the ratification of the old but says nothing about the ratification of the new by the blood of the Incarnate Word, not by animal blood being sprinkled on a book. There is no commemoration of the first covenant. The Jew is obliged to do what it says, not celebrate it.
Criteria for the old
- Must obey God
- What it is based on
- Who wrote it where
- With what it is ratified
- People quickly broke it
Hundreds of years later
Following the Sinai failure the precious message from God became talking points until judgment arrived and exiled the Jewish people.
How is the gold become dim! how is the most fine gold changed! the stones of the sanctuary are poured out in the top of every street.Lamentations 4:1
Her gates are sunk into the ground; he hath destroyed and broken her bars: her king and her princes are among the Gentiles: the law is no more; her prophets also find no vision from the Lord.Lamentations 2:9