I return to a topic that is the spiritual equivalent of a 13 dollar coin. It is an issue that has to be near the top of standards for decency and civilized behaviour. When the Scriptures opens up with woman as the better part of humanity and closes with a stunning movie of an unnamed woman I find it horribly uncaring of a great many people who say they are God’s friends and representatives of God and light-bearers. One little word in Genesis exposes the inventions of misogynist crew, wherever they come from. Let us be sure that while people are said to be in the loins of their ancestors before they are born it bears repeating that help a male needs to be complete is necessarily female and must be recognized as his out-front part, his better “half”, his kĕneged ( כנגד ) aspect.
Shame is a lot more than a private part
It does not shock me that the commentaries on the creation of the human race fail to build an understanding of males and females in their primary arrangement. It is a senseless plot that people undertake when they try to pattern their associations after the Levitical system’s males-only policy and practice. Women are pushed aside from the centre of the action and authority and then flattered with the idea that they have functions that are uniquely designed for only certain contributions to family and social life. If differing standards of public dress and undress do not convince anyone that patriarchy’s male dominance is a stage in man’s ignorance..
Woman clothed with the sun and more
What does kenegdo mean in the Genesis creation narrative? In front of, before, opposite as equal, beside (fanciful nonsense from the rib narrative), or partner of lesser function and value?
And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help suitable for him.Genesis 2:18
The Revelation 12 Saga
The answer to the question of the meaning of neged comes in a vision of a woman. Her clothing and adventures are beyond scrutiny.
- And there appeared a great wonder in heaven;
- a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:
- And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered
- And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads. And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
- And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
- And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
We have it in apostolic teaching and from the practice of Christ that gender, ethnicity, social status, or nationality are inadmissible as measurements of people. The Taliban and those who see themselves as conserving (protecting) are barking up a tree John the Baptist said was ready for felling.
The entire story of divine government of the globe is told in the woman’s experience in Revelation12. The salvation experience is cast as the betrothal and marriage of a woman to the Son of God. How dare anyone shape the church’s identity and operations as male-only? They dare because they are forgivably mistaken, confused about the incompatibility of chauvinism and holiness. The proponents of male domination forgets that our spiritual heritage is specifically inclusive of women as we find it predicted in Joel 2:29; “Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days”. The Holy Spirit’s residence establishes the dignity of men and women or not at all.