Sometimes we are not aware of all the ways in which people try to twist us into pretzels to prove that we belong to Christ. They call up a host of external things and even a few internal ones. They try to make you think that you need to be perfect in everything you say and do. They make you feel guilty as if sin is always clinging to you. Paul makes it really simple. We know we belong to Christ because Christ is living with us Christ is in us.
Exhortations to the believers, 2 Corinthians 13:5ff
- Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith;
- examine yourselves!
- (Or do you not) recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you–unless indeed you fail the test?
- (But I trust that you will) realize that we ourselves do not fail the test.
- (Now we pray to God that you) do no wrong; not that we ourselves may appear approved,
- (but that you) may do what is right, even though we may appear unapproved.
For we can do nothing against the truth, but only for the truth. (2 Corinthians 13:5-8, NASB)