Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?Luke 3:7
With a message like Luke 3:7 [“kept saying” is a better translation than “said”] it is a wonder of divine design that no hardline disciple of Moses lifted a stone or raised an allegation against John. Noone could touch John until the appointed time. John was, however, not a one-tune singer. He had several targeted themes in his repertoire.
- The baptism related to sin remission
- All flesh shall see God’s salvation
- Descent from Abraham was irrelevant
- Sharing with the havenots
- Public officials must be honest
- Military discipline demands no violence, no false accusations, and contentment with one’s wages
Immigrant crowd dilemma
Every time, the people of Israel take a stand for decency the State rubs its hands in western dung and plays the whore for applause. Banning people who are different is an Israeli-American pastime. John would definitely recognize them and ask them to be quite since a felled tree without roots will not rise.